Google Search

Google

Sunday, August 26, 2018

My thoughts on religion

I'm an Agnostic but believe everyone should believe in what they want.  I'm not writing this to try and change your mind, I have just had people ask me why I don't know if there is a God.  Also with all the tension in the past couple years bubbling up, not only dividing us politically but also religiously.

I was born with a Jewish father and a Catholic mother, neither were very religious.  We celebrated all the holidays, I went to church on Christmas and we'd have Jewish holidays at families houses but that's about it.

I've always been Agnostic.  It's not like I believed one day and didn't another, religion never made sense to me.  As I grew older my thoughts became more ingrained, talking to religious people, hearing preachers and rabbis talk about the bible, just never made sense.  A God that loves all, and knows all, but has a heavy fist expects you t pray for him?  I always thought if there is a God that he would know you're a good person and that would be good enough.  Also, he wouldn't penalize you for not believing in him.  When you die, if there is a heaven you'd go there and he'd basically say "see, I'm real and heaven is real" and then I'd say "I was wrong, I"m sorry" and that would be good enough.  See in my mind being a good person, treating people well is what he would want, but then preachers say you have to believe in him which to me is a contradiction.

The other thing that bothers me about is in some religions there is a way to get out of being good.  You can do confess and your absolved of all the bad things you've done.  Someone can kill, rape, molest and still go to heaven?  So if there is a heaven and a God he expects these people to be good?  I hear heaven is supposed to be your every dream.  So these bad people will be able to murder, rape and molest in heaven?  So if Hitler confessed before killing a ton of Jews, he can kill more Jews in heaven?  Doesn't sound right to me.

Now Christians also believe in Hell and they say the Devil is evil.  They say he makes people do bad things and makes deals and such.  I've heard devil worshipers talk and a lot of them say the Devil is just the gatekeeper of Hell, the warden of Hell.  He doesn't make people do bad things, he wants people to be good, but he wants to make sure that bad people stay in Hell. 

To me, it would make more sense to believe in the Devil because he wants to make sure bad people get what they deserve while God, on the other hand, will let people get away with murder if they confess.  Maybe the Devil has been taken all wrong or maybe God is afraid that the Devil will take over and everyone will live in peace because he'll punish all the bad people? In other words, maybe God is masquerading as a good loving entity while he's not and he's saying the Devil is bad because he wants people to do bad things.  Or maybe God said there is a Hell where bad people go and they automatically thought the Devil is bad as well?

I'm an Agnostic though and think that maybe the bible was just written to scare people.  Know one knew of making regular laws, so instead they made stories to scare people into being good...which didn't work obviously.   Religion could have been started to keep people in line. 

The other idea is there were hallucinogenic plants back then, people didn't know what mushrooms to eat and what foliage was good, they would just eat.  Maybe they hallucinated (had what the Indians call a vision quest) and they believed what they saw was true, write it down and the bible was born. 

There are many religions because before the bible was written the stories were told by mouth and the more the stories were told the more they changed and people believe different stories.  Later religions were made just to make money or just out of spirituality.  Or maybe its people brains trying to make sense of religions that don't make sense so they make their own that makes sense to them.

Now being an Agnostic I don't know if there is a God or not.  I'd like to think a loving God would understand that and be ok with it as long as I'm a good person.  Unless religion was warped and to get people scared into believing they say "believe or go to Hell" when that's far from the truth?  Also, I don't know if I'd want to believe in a God that allows you to confess and be absolved.  That could have been made up too, or maybe it's for minor things like stealing food and not for major crimes like murder?  People believe what they want to, what they think fits their way of thinking.  If a murderer hears he can be absolved if he confesses, he may think "why not, what do I have to lose?".  I've heard people say they believe "just in case".  In my mind, if I have to jump through hoops to go to heaven then I won't go to heaven.  I'll be a good person and if that isn't enough then so be it.  I won't be fake "just in case".

That's just my opinion.  You can believe in whatever you want, just respect other peoples beliefs (or lack of).

No comments: